$25,000 PRIZE AWARDED TO A WINNING PLAYWRIGHT
NOW ACCEPTING SUBMISSIONS
WINNER ANNOUNCED IN DECEMBER 2018
In 2018 Barrington Stage will take their commitment to playwrights and new plays to a new level with a National New Play Award. Barrington Stage is proud to announce the creation of The Bonnie and Terry Burman New Play Award for an outstanding play in 2018. The winner will receive $25,000, with two runners-up receiving $5,000 each.
Submissions will open on December 12, 2017 and will close April 30, 2018. There is no fee for entry.
WHAT/WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
- must be new full length play that has not been produced professionally
- must be unpublished and not yet licensed
- must be free and not attached to any producers or directors
- must be able to be performed with 8 actors or less
- must be wholly original and not an adaptation or translations of existing foreign language plays
- must be a play that has not already been sent to Barrington Stage Company for consideration
- must be a U.S. resident
- can only submit one play
- can not be an immediate family member of a BSC staff or board member.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO SUBMIT A NEW PLAY?
- A brief letter of endorsement from a professional theatre, commercial producer, literary agent, playwright development organization, the head of MFA playwriting program or a playwriting professor at an MFA playwriting program must accompany the script. Each endorsing organization/person/agent can only endorse two plays.
- A PDF of the script that does not include the author’s name, agent info, developmental/award history or year written anywhere within the script; please number all pages.
- 150 word bio of the writer
- 150 word synopsis of the play (that does not contain the writer’s name)
- 150 word developmental history of the play, if any
- Any special needs of the play (live animals, on-stage pool, 3 children, etc.)
HOW TO SUBMIT
All submissions must be sent through an online application. Link can be found at the bottom of this page.
You are able to save your work on the application and return to it at a later date. If you have any questions about the award or the application, please e-mail Alyssa Anderson-Kuntz, Project Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
WHAT ARE THE PRIZES?
Grand Prize (1 recipient)
- a developmental staged reading with a professional cast and director
- all travel and housing covered for the staged reading
- a possible full production at Barrington Stage Company
Runner Up Prize (2 recipients)
- $5,000 each
- developmental staged reading with a professional cast and director
WHAT IS THE SELECTION PROCESS?
Scripts will be read and evaluated through a blind submission process by BSC’s literary team. A group of finalist plays will be read and evaluated by the New Play Award Committee, comprised of distinguished artists and playwrights in October 2018. Winners will be announced in December 2018.
WHAT DOES BARRINGTON STAGE ASK OF THE PLAYWRIGHT?
Barrington Stage will ask for a right of first refusal for a world premiere of all award recipients that will expire 90 days after Barrington Stage presents the staged reading of the play.