MUSICAL THEATRE CONSERVATORY
“Musical Theatre Conservatory allowed me to create relationships with other artists that helped me thrive in NYC. I would seriously recommend MTC to all students, especially recent college grads.” -Ruthy Froch, MTC 2017, currently in the National Tour of Fiddler on the Roof
Join Barrington Stage Company for our intensive 10-week pre-professional summer training program – Musical Theatre Conservatory (MTC). The MTC program offers theatre students training in the areas of performance, direction and choreography. Students also have the opportunity to earn Equity Points and train with top-level New York directors, choreographers, and musical theatre writers.
Performers will understudy or be cast in one of our productions (two roles guaranteed to MTC members in our Mainstage production of Into the Woods). They also will have performance opportunities in two cabarets, as well as original and independent projects, in Mr. Finn’s Cabaret.
Directors/Choreographers will both have opportunities to develop/direct independent projects, and direct cabarets in Mr. Finn’s Cabaret. This is an exciting opportunity to train with top-level New York City directors, choreographers, and musical theater writers.
Additional program benefits include free tickets to BSC shows, ticket exchange offers from other popular Berkshire Cultural Institutions, complimentary gym membership, and invitations to company parties and special events.
Applications and audition sign-ups are CLOSED. Check back later in 2019 for more information about applying for the 2020 season.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.
MUSIC/VOICE: Specialized Instruction in Vocal Technique, various vocal styles (Pop/Rock, Contemporary, Legit), Repertoire Building and more! Past training from Tony nominee Marin Mazzie, Darren R. Cohen, Anne L. Nathan, Joel Waggoner and Drama Desk Award Nominee Elizabeth Stanley.
ACTING: Scene Study, Monologue Coaching, Acting the Song, On-Camera, Text Analysis, Improvisation, Devising and more! Past training from Tamara Tunie, Debra Jo Rupp, Tony winner William Finn, Tony nominee Michael Hayden and Julianne Boyd.
MOVEMENT: Training in Ballet, Contemporary, Partnering, Fosse, as well as Pilates, Yoga and Audition Preparation. Past training from Emmy winner and Tony nominee Joshua Bergasse, Tony nominee Tony Yazbeck, Emmy nominee Jeffrey Page, Christine O’Grady and Jay Armstrong Johnson.
INDUSTRY: Meet with casting directors, build a personal website, professional resources for actors and developing your personal brand. Past training from Pat McCorkle, Mark H. Dold, André Ware and Tony winner John Rando.
- Performers earn EMC points
- Directors and Choreographers are assigned to assist the creative teams of Mainstage productions
- All students are guaranteed to understudy a role during our 2019 season. In past seasons students understudied in award-winning shows including:
- A Doll’s House, part 2
- Taking Steps
- Speech and Debate
- Company (starring Aaron Tveit)
- Jihae Park’s peerless
- Nina Raine’s Tribes
- Some of the shows MTC students have had roles in include:
- Ragtime (dir. Joe Calarco)
- The Pirates of Penzance (dir. by Tony winner John Rando)
- The Royal Family of Broadway (by Tony winner Bill Finn and Rachel Shenkin, the team behind The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee)
- His Girl Friday
- Man of La Mancha
- On the Town
- In Mr. Finn’s Cabaret, students will develop and perform new works from exciting new artists.
- MTC premiered Let the Sunshine In… an original cabaret celebrating musicals of the 1960’s.
- Our directing and choreography students presented independent works inspired by Avenue Q, Jesus Christ Superstar and Urinetown
Many students will work with emerging songwriters and present their songs on stage at Mr. Finn’s Cabaret in the New Songwriters Cabaret series.
Master Classes – Students are invited to participate in master classes taught by visiting artists.
Audition Workshops – Participate in workshops built to simulate professional auditions and receive feedback to develop your practice.
Repertoire Building – Expand your audition repertoire with guidance from professionals.
One-on-Ones – Meet with casting specialists, directors, designers, producers and BSC staff members to build your professional network.
Free tickets – Enjoy tickets through our BSC Ticket Exchange with Williamstown Theatre Festival, Berkshire Theatre Group, Shakespeare and Company, Jacob’s Pillow and MORE!
Housing – Furnished shared housing (two per room), including wifi.
Gym membership – With access to pool.
“Without MTC, I wouldn’t be thriving in NYC the way I am now. The connections I made there were invaluable to my future as an artist and a performer.” -Amara Brady, MTC 2017, Bring It On: The Musical, dir. Tony winner Tonya Pinkins.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW?
Candidates must demonstrate strong musical theatre skills, be at least 19 years of age, and have completed at least one year of University-level training. Directing/Choreography candidates must have completed their Undergraduate Education.
DATES OF PROGRAM
May 26 — August 3
WHAT’S THE COST?
$3,950 and includes housing (without housing the program costs $2,950).
The director cost is $3,500.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Here’s what you will need to submit:
Applications NOW OPEN, with a priority deadline of February 15th.
- Performance Resume or a Directing/Choreography Resume
- One letter of recommendation from someone familiar with your work
- One-page essay to include why you want to participate, what your strengths are and what you’d like to focus on
- A $25 application fee (to be paid when completing the application)
If applying as a Performer:
- One-minute contemporary monologue
- Two 16-bar cuts – a ballad and an up-tempo – from the musical theatre canon with accompaniment (no a capella singing)
Performers have the option of sending their audition materials ONLINE or signing up for an IN-PERSON audition in either New York City (3/4/19), Boston (2/25/19) or the Berkshires (3/3/19).
If applying as a Director or Choreographer:
You must submit examples of your work ONLINE.
WHAT ELSE DO I NEED TO KNOW?
MTC has limited space available. Participants are selected through a highly competitive application process and are encouraged to apply early.