New Works Initiative
Barrington Stage believes that new work is the heart and soul of theatre. If theatre is to thrive and create meaningful and new experiences for audiences, then supporting playwrights and their visions of the world we live in is a necessity. To do this, we must nurture and support the playwrights who give voice to these ideas.
A New Works Commission will allow a playwright or a composer/lyricist team to be nurtured and supported in the following ways:
- From the beginning of the process: an outline of the story the writer wants to tell
- To the writing of the play or musical: 1-2 years
- To the first unveiling of the project: a staged reading
- To the workshop: not all work needs a workshop but we must make one available to a writer who needs to see his/her work “on its feet” before making revisions
- To the full production.
Please join us in supporting Barrington Stage’s New Works Initiative.
I wouldn’t have written half the plays I did without knowing that there would be a theater that would seriously consider them and not just become part of a leaning tower on an Artistic Director’s desk.
Knowing that you have an artistic home is just as important as having a home to live in. A place to take comfort in, a place that provides continuity and a sense of ownership gives all of us a base to recharge our dreams.
Barrington Stage has supported my work for eighteen years. It’s a theatre that deserves the same crucial support and encouragement.
World Premiere Plays
- Love and Happiness (2001)
- Full Bloom (2000)
- Ciao! (2001)
- Ears on a Beatle (2003)
- The God Committee (2004)
- Fuente (2005)
- Freud’s Last Session (2009)
- Best of Enemies (2011)
- Dr Ruth, All the Way (2012)
- Muckrakers (2013)
- Scott and Hem in the Garden of Allah (2013)
- Dancing Lessons (2014)
Musical Theatre Lab
Musicals, when they are good, soar. But what seems effortless is only achieved through a painstaking, exacting developmental process that asks and answers the hardest questions about what any musical is meant to be. Few people understand the complexity of the process because they don’t see the work being developed. They don’t see the talent of the unproduced.
My job as the Artistic Producer of BSC’s Musical Theatre Lab (MTL) is to find the best new musical theatre writing I can. After that, developing it and producing it in a simple, straightforward way will illuminate what needs to be done to insure its successful completion. Some of the pieces may need a workshop, others a simple, full production but I guarantee you all will need to be nurtured in a different way so they can become what they’re meant to become.
~ William Finn (Falsettos, …Spelling Bee)
MTL World Premieres
- The Burnt Part Boys (2006)
- Calvin Berger (2007)
- Funked Up Fairy Tales (2007)
- Harris Burdick (2008)
- See Rock City and Other Destinations (2008)
- Pool Boy (2010)
- The Memory Show (2010)
- Mormons, Mothers and Monsters (2011)
- Southern Comfort (2013)
- The Golem of Havana (2014)
- Travels with My Discontent (2006)
- Disorder: A Mother/Daughter Vaudville (2006)
- The Mysteries of Harris Burdick (2007)
- My Scary Girl (2008)
- The Black Suits (2012)
- Romance in Hard Times (2014)
- Watt?!? (2008)
- Poolside at the Hotel Bel-Air (2009)
- Memory is the Mother of All Wisdom (2009)
- The Suicide: A Musical Comedy (2012)
- Presto Change-O (2014)
New Play/Musical Commissions
Want to make an impact on the future of American theatre by contributing to a new play/musical commission? Please contact the BSC Development Office at 413-997-6110 or click here to download the New Works Initiative brochure.